The Spanish for Heritage Speakers Program at St. Thomas Aquinas Regional School
El Programa de Español para Hispanohablantes en St. Thomas Aquinas Regional School
The purpose of the Spanish for Heritage Speakers Program is to provide the opportunity for seventh and eighth-grade students with experience in Spanish at home or in their families to participate in an accelerated course of Spanish in accordance with the Diocesan Spanish Language Curriculum Objectives.
The Heritage Spanish program is a two-year program of study beginning in seventh grade for students who have a background level of Spanish due to their Hispanic heritage and desire a more rigorous course of study that keeps them constantly challenged and interested.
Key elements of the Heritage Spanish program include:
- An accelerated reading and writing track in Spanish, enabling students to further their Spanish language skills.
- High focus on achieving biliteracy
- Small class size
Rising seventh and eighth-grade students must:
- Demonstrate appropriate Spanish fluency through the Spanish STAR Reading test and a writing sample
- Receive positive recommendation from current Spanish teacher (if not a current student at Aquinas)
Once a student is in the Heritage Spanish program, the appropriateness of the class will be reconsidered if the teacher and the administration feel that the program is not the best fit for the student.
Applicants will be considered based on their Spanish reading level, a writing sample, and their application. Students who are currently in the program do not need to reapply.
Application Deadline and Testing Dates for 2022-2023 School Year
- Reading Test and Writing Sample Date: Friday, May 6, 2022
- Application Due: Friday, May 6, 2022